Who Pays for Hospice Care?
Medicare, Medi-Cal and most private insurance plans cover the cost of hospice, including medications, medical supplies and equipment that is connected to the patient’s primary diagnosis. If a patient does not have any insurance coverage, Hospice Services of Lake County will work with the patient to provide hospice care.
Medicare Hospice Benefit
The federal Medicare Hospice Benefit is covered under Medicare Part A. The Benefit covers virtually all aspects of hospice care with very little, if any, out-of-pocket expenses to the patient or family. Hospice Services of Lake County is fully certified by Medicare.
Medicare covers these hospice services:
- Hospice physician services
- Nursing care
- Medical equipment (including hospital beds, wheelchairs and walkers)
- Medical supplies (including oxygen, bandages or catheters)
- Drugs for managing symptoms and controlling pain
- Home health aide services
- Social worker services
- Spiritual support and counselling
- Dietary counselling
- Grief support for patients and loved ones
Patients get the most benefit from hospice support when hospice is called early.